Comment on page
Biosample Workflow Files
Biosample Workflow Files The biosample workflow file is a comma-delimited file that is used to add biosamples in bulk. The file includes a list of biosamples with the following information for each:
- Custom metadata
- Library preparation instructions
- Analysis workflows to be launched after sequencing data files have been received
To make sure that run data are associated with the correct biosample information, upload the biosample workflow file before adding the sample sheet.
Biosample workflow fields are grouped into the following types:
The biosample data fields define the biosamples you are adding or updating. A biosample and default project combination can only be listed in one row of the manifest. For information about scheduling more than one analysis for a biosample, see Schedule Multiple Analysis Workflows For a Single Biosample.
Analysis Workflow fields do not overwrite existing scheduled workflows. If you import the same biosample workflow file twice, you duplicate the analysis requests in the file and the analysis is performed a second time.
In the following example, columns E—H specify the following information:
- The analysis workflows to perform.
- The analysis group and sample labels for a pair of samples analyzed with the Tumor Normal workflow.
- Delivery mode.
You can use the optional prep request fields to do the following:
- Specify prep request instructions for a new biosample
- Add a prep request to an existing biosample
- Change the required yield for an existing prep request
In the following example, columns J—K specify the library prep and required yield.
Use metadata fields to add custom information about the biosample. Do not enter patient identifying information in metadata fields.
Biosample metadata is listed on the biosample details page.
Metadata can be applied to new biosamples in a biosample workflow file. To add or edit metadata for existing biosamples, use the BaseSpace Sequence Hub API. For more information, see the developer documentation at developer.basespace.illumina.com.
In the following example, columns L—N add genome, tissue source, and customer barcode metadata.
Example Metadata Fields
BaseSpace Sequence Hub performs validation on the field requirements and the following general requirements:
- Maximum 100 fields
- Field headers must be 4–60 characters
- No special characters in field headers
- Field entries limited to 5000 characters